Stephen R. Schachter, Q.C. is one of the top trial and appellate lawyers in British Columbia. He has litigated many of British Columbia’s leading complex business disputes. Stephen regularly appears in the British Columbia Supreme Court, the British Columbia Court of Appeal, and the Supreme Court of Canada. He also appears before the Federal Court of Canada and the B.C. Securities Commission.
Stephen acts as counsel on a range of matters, with a focus on corporate commercial litigation matters, including class actions, hostile take-over bids, derivative actions, pension litigation, professional negligence, and securities matters, including shareholder disputes. He is often retained to work with major international law firms based in Eastern Canada and the United States.
- British Columbia Bar, 1978
- LL.B., University of British Columbia, 1976
- B.A. (Anthropology), University of British Columbia, 1973
- Excellence Award Winner for Commercial Litigation Team of the Year, Canadian Law Awards 2020
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel, 2001
- Lawyer of the Year for Corporate Commercial Litigation, 2020, Lawyer of the Year for Bet-the-Company Litigation, 2015, Best Lawyers Canada.
- “Litigation Star” and as one of the Top 50 Trial Lawyers in Canada, Benchmark Canada, since 2012.
- “Most frequently recommended” in the area of Corporate Commercial Litigation, “repeatedly recommended” in the areas of Directors’ & Officers’ Liability and Securities Litigation, and a leading practitioner in these areas and in Corporate Commercial Litigation, Lexpert.
- Most Frequently Recommended for Corporate Commercial Litigation, Canadian Lexpert® Directory and listed in their American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada.
- Consistently ranked as a leading litigator by Chambers and Partners and Who’s Who Legal.
- Faculty, various Continuing Legal Education Society courses including chambers practice, the new Rules, advocacy training.
- Faculty, UBC Law School advocacy training program.
- Member, Canadian Pension & Benefits Institute.
- Past Chair, Civil Litigation section of the BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association.
- Chair, Vancouver Recital Society