Irwin G. Nathanson, K.C. is esteemed counsel, known as one of the top trial and appellate lawyers in British Columbia and Canada. He has litigated many of British Columbia’s leading complex business disputes. Irwin regularly appears in the British Columbia Supreme Court, the British Columbia Court of Appeal, and the Supreme Court of Canada. He is often retained to take matters on appeal.
Irwin acts as counsel on a range of matters, with a focus on corporate commercial litigation, including class actions, hostile take-over bids, derivative actions, pension litigation, professional negligence, and securities matters, including shareholder disputes. He is often retained to work with major international law firms based in Eastern Canada and the United States.
- British Columbia Bar, 1969
- LL.B., Dalhousie University, 1968
- B.Com, Dalhousie University, 1965
- Excellence Award Winner for Commercial Litigation Team of the Year, Canadian Law Awards 2020
- Excellence Award Winner for Litigator of the Year, Canadian Law Awards 2020
- Consistently ranked in the Top Band of Litigators in British Columbia by Chambers and Who’s Who Legal.
- Vancouver’s “Corporate and Commercial Litigation Lawyer of the Year,” 2017, Best Lawyers
- “Class Action Litigation Lawyer of the Year” in 2012 and 2016, Best Lawyers
- “Director and Officer Liability Practice Lawyer of the Year” for 2013 and 2018, Best Lawyers
- “Bet-the-Company Litigation Lawyer of the Year” in 2010, 2014 and 2021 Best Lawyers
- Recognized in the fields of director and officer liability practice, labour and employment law, and securities law, Best Lawyers
- “Most frequently recommended” in the areas of Corporate Commercial Litigation, Lexpert
- “Repeatedly recommended” in Directors’ and Officers’ Liability Litigation and Securities Litigation, and as a leading practitioner in Corporate Commercial Litigation, Lexpert
- Lexpert®/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada.
- The Legal 500 Canada leading lawyer for dispute resolution in British Columbia
- A Benchmark Canada “Litigation Star” since 2012, and one of the Top 50 Trial Lawyers in Canada.
- Appointed King’s Counsel (formerly known as Queen’s Counsel) in 1985