Karen L.M. Carteri is a trusted and tenacious trial and appellate lawyer. She joined NST as a partner in 2016 where she has continued her emergence as a leading litigator in British Columbia. Prior to joining NST, Karen was a litigation partner in the Vancouver office of a national law firm, including five years as leader of the firm’s Vancouver litigation group.
Karen is committed to understanding her clients’ needs and their desired outcomes. She tailors strategy, applies analysis and undertakes advocacy throughout the dispute resolution process toward procuring optimal results for her clients, whether in court, arbitration, or through negotiation. She has a talent for handling and managing very complex cases. Karen’s practice includes shareholder and corporate disputes and remedies, partnership disputes, property development disputes, property title and insurance issues, work for financial institutions, work in the resource and mining sector, civil forfeiture, and a wide variety of contract disputes in various sectors.
Throughout her career and continuing today, Karen has placed tremendous value on mentorship received and on being available to offer mentorship to others.
- British Columbia Bar, 2002
- Saskatchewan Bar, 2000
- LL.B., (with Distinction), University of Saskatchewan, 1999
- B. Com., (Dean’s List), University of Saskatchewan, 1997
- The Peter S. Hyndman Mentorship Award, the Vancouver Bar Association, 2022
- Benchmark Canada: Top 100 Women in Litigation 2022 and 2023, Litigation Star, 2018-2022 and Benchmark Canada Emerging Talent award for British Columbia, 2018
- Best Lawyers Canada in Corporate Commercial Litigation, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023
- Chambers Canada in General Commercial Litigation in British Columbia, 2022
- Lexpert Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers in Canada Under 40 Award, 2015
- National firm mentorship award, McMillan LLP 2015
- Current member of Legal and Insurance Committee, Vancouver College Elementary and High School, Past Board member (2018 to 2022) – Past Chair Legal and Insurance Committee, Member and Past Chair Human Resources Committee
- UBC Trial Advocacy Course Mock Trial Volunteer (2018 to present)
- Parent Education Committee Member (Governance), Blessed Sacrament Elementary School (2018 to 2020)
- Canadian Bar Association of BC Advisory to the Judicial Council of BC Committee (2016 to 2018)
- Member of Board of directors of the Association of Women in Finance, Governance/Secretary (2013 to 2017), Women on Boards Committee (2017/2018)
- Canadian Bar Association Business of Law Committee Member (2014-2016)