Heather E. Doi is a thoughtful lawyer with a keen work ethic and a strong ability to quickly see to the heart of an issue. She maintains a broad litigation practice with a focus on corporate-commercial litigation, as well as regulatory and administrative law. She has assisted with matters before all levels of court in British Columbia, as well as before regulatory bodies including the British Columbia Securities Commission.
- Clerk to six justices of the Supreme Court of British Columbia, including Chief Justice Hinkson (2016/2017)
- British Columbia Bar, 2017
- J.D., University of British Columbia, 2015
- B.A., University of Victoria, 2010
- Received awards for academic achievement and contributions to UBC law school, including the JSD Tory Prize for Advocacy and Lord Denning Scholarship-Class of ’48.
- Received Peter Cory Factum Prize and McLachlin Prize for Best Female Mooter at Gale Cup Moot (2014).
- Volunteer judge for Peter A. Allard School of Law competitive and first-year moots.
- Panelist, Beyond 1L (Advice from Practitioners), Peter A. Allard School of Law, March 2020
- Mentor, Canadian Bar Association (BC Branch) Student Mentorship Program
- Member, Women Lawyers Forum, Canadian Bar Association (BC Branch)
- Member, The Advocates’ Society
Cases of Interest
- Della Penna v. Cobb, 2020 BCSC 635
Co-counsel for the defendant law firm and lawyers in which the court dismissed the plaintiff’s claim on the basis that he could not prove an alleged breach of contract and fiduciary duty, and further found the claim to be an abuse of the court’s process.
- Re Flexfi Inc., 2018 BCSECCOM 374 and 2019 BCSECCOM 398
Co-counsel for the respondents in successful applications to vary orders of the Securities Commission, permitting the respondents to pursue their business objectives.
In addition to the above matters, Heather has:
Represented individuals in various administrative proceedings and investigations, including having allegations against a respondent dismissed in an investigation by a post-secondary institution.
Publications and Presentations
- “Selecting the Oppression Remedy: Issues in Availability and Commencement of Oppression Proceedings” (co-author) – Securities Litigation, CLE-BC, 2019
- “Oppression Remedy: Recent Trends and Developments” (co-author) – paper for Commercial Litigation, Course, CLE-BC, 2018
- “Expert Opinions and Ethical and Professional Responsibility Issues” (co-author) – Expert Evidence in British Columbia Civil Proceedings, 2018, CLE-BC
- “Special and Uplift Costs in Litigation – Right Tools for the Job” (co-author) – Litigation Misconduct, Course, CLE-BC, 2017