Emily L. Hansen is both a fierce adversary and a careful advisor. Her particular aptitude for efficiently absorbing and reasoning through challenging facts and legal issues, and her strong advocacy skills, support a growing estate litigation practice in addition to her general commercial litigation practice focussing on contractual and other business disputes. She has appeared before all levels of court in British Columbia.
- Clerk to Madam Justice MacKenzie and Mr. Justice Savage of the Court of Appeal for British Columbia (2016/2017)
- British Columbia Bar, 2018
- J.D. (Dean’s List, Gold Medallist), Dalhousie University, 2016
- B.A., University of British Columbia, 2013
- Schulich School of Law at Dalhousie University – Gold medallist, Class of 2016.
- Also while at Law School, Emily received the Arthur S. Patillo Prize in Advocacy as a winner of the Smith Shield Moot and was the two time recipient of the Frank M. Covert Memorial Scholarship for academic excellence, extracurricular performance, bearing, and speaking skills. She was also recipient of a major entrance scholarship from the Law Foundation of Nova Scotia and numerous other academic awards, including in equity and trusts, property law, family law, tax, professional responsibility, legal theory, and various essay prizes.
- CBA BC Appellate Advocacy Section, Member of section executive – current section chair (2020 – ongoing)
- Volunteer with Access Pro Bono BC (legal clinic and Court of Appeal program)
- Volunteer judge for UBC Allard Hall 1L moots, 2019, 2020