Julia performs diverse and essential roles within the firm. Julia joined the firm in 1999, became a partner in 2006, and has performed in a management role since 2014. While overseeing all aspects of the firm’s operations over the past many years, Julia also conducts research and performs complex legal analysis on significant and important cases for NST’s clients, including work leading to recent successes or submissions in all levels of court.
- Clerk to six justices of the Supreme Court of British Columbia (1997/1998)
- British Columbia Bar, 1998
- LL.B. (Honours; Deans List), University of Toronto, 1997
- B.A. (Honours), University of Toronto, 1991
- Excellence Award Winner Managing Partner of the Year, Canadian Law Awards 2020
- Member, Governance Committee, Mulgrave Independent School Society
- In addition to practicing law, Julia is the mother of four school-aged children and is regularly involved in their schools and activities.
Cases of Interest
Julia E. Lawn has provided legal research on many of the firm’s major trials and appeals. For example:
- Pirani v Pirani, 2020 BCSC 974
- Wastech Services Ltd. v. Greater Vancouver Sewerage and Drainage District, SCC File No. 38601 (2019 BCCA 66)
- Concord Pacific Acquisitions Inc. v. Oei, 2019 BCSC 1190
- Ocean Wise Conservation Association v. Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation, 2019 BCCA 58
- Kepis & Pobe Financial Group Inc. v. Timis Corporation, 2018 BCCA 420
- Telus Corp. v. Mason Capital Management LLC, 2012 BCCA 403
- Strother v. 3464920 Canada Inc., 2007 SCC 24, 2005 BCCA 35
- Minera Aquiline Argentina SA v. IMA Explorations Inc., 2006 BCSC 1102, 2007 BCCA 319
- Inmet Mining Corp. v. Homestake Canada Inc., 2002 BCSC 61, 2003 BCCA 610
Publications and Presentations
- Government Liability: Law and Practice, Horsman & Morley (eds), Aurora: Canada Law Book, 2007 (Chapters 8 and 9)
- “The John Doe Injunction in Mass Protest Cases,” 1998, 56 U.T. Fac. L. Rev. 102
- Co-author (with Andrew Bernstein) of “Primacy to Privacy? The Supreme Court and the Privacy Threshold in Edwards,” 1997, 55 U.T. Fac. L. Rev. 341.